Contributing to a smarter Victorian cadastral system.
This project aims to modernise the Victorian land administration system (LAS) by conceptualising, designing, developing and maintaining a suite of innovative tools and services. This project develops the required infrastructure for collecting, creating, validating, visualising, lodging, sharing and accessing the spatially accurate multi-dimensional cadastral data required by the Victorian land administration stakeholders for different purposes such as planning, development, subdivision, asset/infrastructure management, transport, disaster management and smart cities.
The expected outcomes of this project include ongoing maintenance of existing ePlan services (eg: validation, visualisation, visualisation enhancement tool and data storage), development of new ePlan services (eg: data viewer and CAD to LandXML conversion service), support to land administration stakeholders and demonstrating the benefits of ePlan, collaboration with other states on ePlan infrastructure and services, collaboration on Digital Cadastre Modernisation Program, supporting building subdivision plans in ePlan, and development of a roadmap for Victoria’s 3D digital cadastre.
The ePlan project benefits the Victorian land administration system (LAS) stakeholders because it:
- Provides a standard data exchange format for cadastral data sharing among LAS stakeholders
- Provides a workflow for exchange of digital cadastral data among LAS stakeholders
- Enables the LAS stakeholders to re-use the existing digital cadastral data for different purposes, such as re-establishing subsequent surveys, updating databases and populating data into other systems
- Provides spatially accurate input data for updating the Victorian Digital Cadastre
- Provides the LAS stakeholders with the spatially accurate cadastral data required for different applications such as planning, development, subdivision, asset management and disaster management
- Improves the quality of cadastral plan and survey data through validation checks
- Standardises the presentation of cadastral plans through visualisation service
- Improves access to/delivery of cadastral and survey information
- Assists with improved digital plan examination/checking process
- Reduces errors, anomalies and requisitions in cadastral plans and surveys
- Improves cadastral plans examination and registration turnaround times.
Professor Abbas Rajabifard, Director Centre for SDIs and Land Administration (CSDILA), ePlan Project Manager
Dr Hamed Olfat, Senior Research Fellow, ePlan Team Lead
Dr Davood Shojaei, Research Fellow, ePlan Senior Project Officer
Dr Yiqun Chen, Research Fellow, ePlan Senior Developer
Farshad Badiee, Research Assistant, ePlan Systems Engineer
Ashley Darvill, Research Assistant, ePlan Software Engineer
Afshin Mesbahmarjani, Research Assistant, ePlan Visualisation Developer
Yibo Zhang, Research Assistant, ePlan Software Engineer
Industry partners and collaborating organisations
Land Use Victoria
Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP)
Olfat, H., Jani, A., Shojaei, D., Darvill, A., Briffa, M., Rajabifard, A. and Badiee, F. (2019). Tackling the Challenges of Visualising Digital Cadastral Plans: The Victorian Cadastre Experience. Land Use Policy Journal, 83, pp. 84–94.
Olfat, H., Shojaei, D., Briffa, M., Maley, S. and Rajabifard, A. (2018). Strategic Actions for Increasing the Submission of Digital Cadastral Data by the Surveying Industry Based on Lessons Learned from Victoria, Australia. ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information, 7(2).
Shojaei, D., Olfat, H., Rajabifard, A., and Briffa, M. (2018). Design and Development of a 3D Digital Cadastre Visualization Prototype. ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information, 7(10).
Shojaei, D., Olfat, H., Rajabifard, A., Kalantari, M. and Briffa, M. (2018). Moving Towards a Fully Operational 3D Digital Cadastre: Victoria, Australia. 6th International FIG 3D Cadastre Workshop 2–4 October 2018, Delft, The Netherlands.
Olfat, H., Shojaei, D., Rajabifard, and Briffa, M. (2018). An Overview of the Victorian 3D Digital Cadastre Roadmap. International Symposium on A Smart Sustainable Future for All, 24–26 Sep 2018, The University of Melbourne, Australia.
Shojaei, D., Olfat, H., Faundez, S., Kalantari, M., Rajabifard, A. and Briffa, M. (2017). Geometrical data validation in 3D digital cadastre − A case study for Victoria, Australia. Land Use Policy Journal, 66, pp. 638–648.
Olfat, H., Shojaei, D., Briffa, M. and Rajabifard, A. (2017). The Current Status and Ongoing Investigations of 2D and 3D Digital Cadastre (ePlan) in Victoria, Australia. 10th International Symposium on Digital Earth & Locate17, 3–6 April 2017, Sydney, Australia.
Shojaei, D., Olfat, H., Briffa, M. and Rajabifard, A. (2017). 3D Digital Cadastre Journey in Victoria, Australia. WG IV/1, WG IV/5 & WG IV/10 12th 3D Geoinfo Conference 2017 (Volume IV-4/W5) 26–27 October 2017, Melbourne, Australia.
Shojaei, D., Olfat, H., Rajabifard, A., Darvill, A. and Briffa, M. (2016). Assessment of the Australian Digital Cadastre Protocol (ePlan) in terms of supporting 3D Building Subdivisions. Journal of Land Use Policy, 56, 112–124.
Olfat, H., Shojaei, D. and Briffa, M. (2016). The Victorian Digital Cadastre: Challenges and Investigations, Proc. of the 3rd Annual Conference of Research@Locate, Melbourne, Australia, 47–52
Dr Hamed Olfat